Friday, September 14, 2018

Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends

Regulatory Trends:

In Miami Beach, they are now criminalizing operating Airbnb-like rentals without a license. I found this opportunity on The Miami Herald. This means that there will be a lot of new on how many Airbnb's will now be illegal. This could open up the ability for a local service that pools together all of the people in Miami Beach that operate with a license. The prototypical customer would be tourists looking for a Hotel alternative that is properly licensed and don't need to worry about legal issues. This opportunity might be somewhat difficult to exploit. If the current owners of these small businesses already have their own form of exposure that works well for them, it will be difficult to sway them to use my service.  I believe there is an opportunity here because I have lived in Miami my entire life and now there are many people with condo's on the beach that go unused for extended periods of time and would like to be able to make money on them. Once they get the license the service would allow them to rent out their home without worrying about legal issues.

FRA proposes to eliminate the certification badge that verifies that a train complies with noise emission standards. I found it on regulatoins.gov and using prior knowledge. I believe that an opportunity will arise in soundproofing houses/buildings near railroads. The deregulation of noise pollution will mean that these buildings will have to deal with much more noise. The prototypical customer is anyone that lives near a railroad and hates the noise. This opportunity would be relatively easy to exploit with customers that have trains going by their area very often and they would have a much higher need than others. I saw this opportunity because my house in Miami is near a railroad track and I have to hear the noise of trains going by often, especially at night. I would definitely be interested in soundproofing.

Economic Trends:

Previously Intel pretty much had a monopoly on the CPU market. However, last year Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) launched a new line of processors named Ryzen. These new processors are on par or at times surpassing Intel's offering. AMD's stock has soared 200% since the launch. They forced Intel to release a line of products early to meet the new competition. This has now caused Intel to have a shortage of current and future processors. This means that companies like Dell, HP, and Lenovo will have to begin building their products around AMD's Ryzen. This applies to consumer and enterprise products. Because AMD is uncharted territory for most of these companies, there will be a need for people with knowledge of AMD for repairs and maintenance. I found this opportunity on Google trends. The prototypical customer is consumers and businesses with no knowledge of AMD. This opportunity might be rather difficult to exploit on a B2B level because of how difficult it can be to show value over bigger tech support companies. I saw the opportunity because I love technology and have been building computers as a hobby for some years now and they have all been built with AMD.

I found this opportunity on Google finance and based on past knowledge. Tesla as a company has been trending down as people lose faith in the car manufacturer and question its ability to support itself. This will mean many teslas owners might sell their cars and then be stuck with a Tesla supercharging station that they installed in their garage which has become utterly useless. This means that if someone can create an attachment/converter for the Tesla supercharger that allows for it to be used with everyday objects, a new use case will emerge for a previously single-use item. The prototypical customer is any current or former Tesla owners. The main hurdle is actually designing and creating the product that works. Once the product is created, it will be rather simple to exploit. I saw this opportunity because I know of people that own Tesla's and have told me they wish they could use something else with the charger.


3 comments:

  1. Good article Daniel. Tesla seems to be having a problem producing enough vehicles to be profitable and generate enough cash flow. I heard recently that they are going to limit the number of car colors to two or three to help speed up production. Some people think the company will be purchased by a company with the cash to design and implement a better system to turn out more vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danny;

    Overall, I find that your post identified some great opportunities in economic and regulatory trends. I think it is striking the point you made that there is an opportunity as Tesla trends down. You mention that many Teslas’ owners will be stuck with a Tesla supercharging station installed in their garages—as the trend indicates that many owners might sell their cars. I have also read some articles about Tesla trending down, but I never thought about the supercharging stations becoming useless. I found brilliant your idea of creating an attachment/converter for the Tesla supercharger— allowing for it to be of use for everyday objects. I believe you should keep on analyzing trends and coming up with your outstanding ideas. Who knows, in the future, you will find and execute a business idea you had? Go Gators!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danny,
    I really like the Tesla charging station opportunity as well. It's definitely not something I have previously thought of and it sounds like there is a lot of room for profit there. I have stayed in many Air BnB's in the past and I am glad they are requiring a license but I also wonder if anyone from the company actually checks up on the houses. I am sure there are many opportunities there as well.

    ReplyDelete