Friday, September 7, 2018

3B Entrepreneurship Story

I come from a family of Cuban immigrants. When both of my grandfathers came to the U.S. they had to struggle and find a way to provide for their families. My paternal grandfather, Rogelio, immigrated with the Peter Pan initiative. This was a started in Miami to bring children from Cuba to the U.S.  My grandfather came alone at the age of 17. He was never able to finish high school. When he arrived in Miami, he worked in a camp for several years picking tomatoes, until his father joined him. Years later, in 1971, they started a boat upholstery business in a tiny warehouse in Hialeah. Since then they have expanded their client base and the once small business has gained a reputation in South Florida for making the best boat upholstery available. Naturally, because it is a family business, my grandparents had me working there from an early age. Every summer while I was in middle school my grandfather would have me there with him learning and working by his side. I was able to meet many of his clients and learned how to form prosperous relations with customers. The most important thing I learned from Rogelio is the value of hard work and what is possible through entrepreneurship. I enrolled in this class because I want to learn more about entrepreneurship, the single most important thing that has shaped my family's life. I hope to walk out of this class a further educated individual and attain the skills required to launch a business of my own.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,
    Your story of your grandfather Rogelio is amazing. It must have been very scary to travel to the United States without his family and try to start a new life. It is inspiring that he was able to work hard and achieve the American dream. Over the years I have met a handful of people who fled Cuba as children with their parents to get away from Castro and communism and start over in America. I enjoy hearing the stories of their successes. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny, that's awesome that your experience is with a family business that you got to help out with. My dad owns a business so I definitely understand helping out during summers off school. I also really liked the lesson that you learned from your grandfather about hard work and your reason for enrolling in the class to learn about your family and start a business of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Danny;
    I can imagine how frightening it must have been for your grandfathers to start a new life as immigrants and having to struggle to provide for their family. I have an aunt who also immigrated to the US to start a new life. As your grandfathers, she had to struggle to provide for her family—her daughter and her son.
    I find it inspiring that they were all able to overcome these challenges. Your story also relates to my husbands’ story—the one I chose to write about on my assignment. As your grandfathers, he also started his company with nothing and was able to succeed through motivation and hard work. I believe we are both lucky to have had the opportunity to know their story and to understand the value of hard work. Go Gators!

    ReplyDelete